Mikio L. Braun
TU Berlin, MAR 4-1
Marchstraße 23 (Room MAR4058)
Phone: (+49) 030 314 78627
PGP Key: CAD0B600
I received pre-diplomas (~B.Sc.) in Mathematics and Computer Science
and a diploma (~M.Sc.) in Computer Science from the University of
Bonn. From 2000 to 2004, I was a research assistant and
Ph.D. student in the CVPR
at the University of Bonn
. In May 2004,
I have joined the Intelligent Data Analysis
headed by Klaus-Robert
Fraunhofer Institute FIRST
in Berlin, Germany. In January 2007, I moved to the Technical
University of Berlin branch of the IDA Group. In 2010, I co-founded
, a start-up company focused on
real-time analysis of social media data.
- social media analysis, data science
- reinforcement learning, adaptive control
- machine learning, statistical learning theory
- kernel methods
- feature extraction
- machine learning for multimedia data
- clustering, stability based model selection
- approximation theory for eigenvalues and eigenvectors
- programming languages for machine learning
- some bioinformatics, brain-computer interface
- open source software for machine learning
- interoperatibility of ML software
- reproducibility of ML research
Here is a short list of the projects I've already worked
on. ("Worked on" means that I was paid by these projects, and/or
was responsible for the part of the project of the respective
University of Bonn (1995-2004)
- Retina Implant project
Building an adaptive neuronal implant for people suffering from
retinitis pigmentosa, a disease which ultimately leads to
- emilea e-stat
A project aimed at building an environment for e-learning. The
university of Bonn was a content-provider for machine learning.
- Teaching duties.
Fraunhofer Institute FIRST (2004-2007)
- A project together with Daimler-Chrysler to measure the amount
of mental workload of a car driver using EEG.
- ADDnet Finding new methods for detecting proteinurea in an
early stage using bioinformatics. This was an EU project headed
by the University of Helsinki
- FaSor An extension of the earlier project with
Daimler-Chrysler. The goal is to interpret the driver as a
- THESEUS A large project funded by the
Bundeswirtschaftsministerium. I was responsible for designing
the part of Fraunhofer FIRST. Our task will be to automatically
extract semantic annotation for images.
Technical Universtiy of Berlin (2007-)
Technically, my position is paid for by the university
(Haushaltsstelle), so I'm not on the payroll of any specific project.
- Teaching duties.
- A bit of system administration.
- ALICE - Autonomous learning in complex environments. Joint project
with Siemens and idalab GmbH with applications to wind turbine control.
Twimpact, our start-up-on-the-side, is
concerned with real-time social media stream analysis.