Mikio L. Braun
I'm no longer at TU Berlin but have joined Zalando as a Delivery Lead back in August 2015, currently working on Search. I'm leaving these pages as they are for now.
If you want to connect, go to my Linkedin profile or follow me on Twitter.
I received pre-diplomas (~B.Sc.) in Mathematics and Computer Science
and a diploma (~M.Sc.) in Computer Science from the University of
Bonn. From 2000 to 2004, I was a research assistant and
Ph.D. student in the CVPR
at the University of Bonn
. In May 2004,
I have joined the Intelligent Data Analysis
headed by Klaus-Robert
Fraunhofer Institute FIRST
in Berlin, Germany. In January 2007, I moved to the Technical
University of Berlin branch of the IDA Group. In 2010, I co-founded
, a start-up company focused on
real-time analysis of social media data.
- social media analysis, data science
- reinforcement learning, adaptive control
- machine learning, statistical learning theory
- kernel methods
- feature extraction
- machine learning for multimedia data
- clustering, stability based model selection
- approximation theory for eigenvalues and eigenvectors
- programming languages for machine learning
- some bioinformatics, brain-computer interface
- open source software for machine learning
- interoperatibility of ML software
- reproducibility of ML research
Here is a short list of the projects I've already worked
on. ("Worked on" means that I was paid by these projects, and/or
was responsible for the part of the project of the respective
University of Bonn (1995-2004)
- Retina Implant project
Building an adaptive neuronal implant for people suffering from
retinitis pigmentosa, a disease which ultimately leads to
- emilea e-stat
A project aimed at building an environment for e-learning. The
university of Bonn was a content-provider for machine learning.
- Teaching duties.
Fraunhofer Institute FIRST (2004-2007)
- A project together with Daimler-Chrysler to measure the amount
of mental workload of a car driver using EEG.
- ADDnet Finding new methods for detecting proteinurea in an
early stage using bioinformatics. This was an EU project headed
by the University of Helsinki
- FaSor An extension of the earlier project with
Daimler-Chrysler. The goal is to interpret the driver as a
- THESEUS A large project funded by the
Bundeswirtschaftsministerium. I was responsible for designing
the part of Fraunhofer FIRST. Our task will be to automatically
extract semantic annotation for images.
Technical Universtiy of Berlin (2007-)
Technically, my position is paid for by the university
(Haushaltsstelle), so I'm not on the payroll of any specific project.
- Teaching duties.
- A bit of system administration.
- ALICE - Autonomous learning in complex environments. Joint project
with Siemens and idalab GmbH with applications to wind turbine control.
Twimpact, our start-up-on-the-side, is
concerned with real-time social media stream analysis.